Air Charter Services on the Swearingen SA-226 “Merlin”
Air Charter Advisors offers passenger & cargo air charter services on the Swearingen Merlin SA226, a pressurized, twin-engine business turboprop first produced by Swearingen Aircraft, and later by Fairchild Aerospace.
The Merlin evolved based on earlier modification programs by Swearingen Aircraft called the “Excalibur”, which was based on the Beechcraft Twin Bonanza and Queen Air business turboprops. The first model was the SA-26 Merlin, a pressurized version of the Excalibur with a 6-cylinder piston engine. The SA26-T Merlin IIA quickly followed, offering increased power & reliability from twin Pratt & Whitney Canada turboprop engines.
The Swearingen SA226 was designed to comfortably accommodate up to 9 passengers while cruising at speeds of more than 300 mph, with maximum speeds reaching 345 mph. When used as a cargo plane, this turboprop is capable of carrying as much as 4,287 pounds of payload over a nearly 2,000 nautical mile flight range. The SA226-T Merlin III replaced the Merlin IIB in 1972, featuring a new wing design, and upgraded Garret turboprops stored inside a new engine housing that became a defining feature of the Merlin series.
The Merlin IV (SA226-AT Merlin IV/A; SA227-AT Merlin IVC) are corporate versions of the Swearingen Metro with increased capacity from Honeywell TPE331 engines. The SA227-AT was also offered as an expedited freighter without cabin windows.
- High-speed business turboprop
- Fully-loaded range of nearly 2,000 nmi
- Comfortable seating for up to 9 passengers
- Easy access to small, local airports
Swearingen Merlin SA226-T Merlin III Specifications
- Year of Make: 1965-1998
- Manufacturer: Swearingen Aircraft & Fairchild Aerospace
- Class: Small cargo & business turboprop
- MTOW: 13,230 lb (6,001 kg)
- Max Payload: 4,287 lb (1,944 kg)
- Cruise Speed: 350 mph (560 km/h; 300 kn) @ 10,000 ft
- Range: 1,938 nmi (2,230 mi, 3,589 km) @ 26,000 ft w/ 6 pax
- Ferry Range: 2,239 nmi (2,577 mi, 4,147 km)
- Service Ceiling: 27,000 ft (8,200 m)
- Climb Rate: 2,650 ft/min (13.5 m/s)
- Takeoff Runway: 2,920 ft (890 m)
- Landing Runway: 2,920 ft (890 m)
- Engines: 2× Garrett AiResearch TPE-331-10U-503G turboprops
- Thrust: 670 kW each
- Propellers: 4-bladed Dowty Type R.321
- Height: 16 ft 10 in (5.13 m)
- Length: 42 ft 2 in (12.85 m)
- Wingspan: 46 ft 3 in (14.10 m)
- Cargo Volume: 491 ft³
- Seating Capacity: up to 9 passengers
- Baggage Capacity: 107 ft³
Swearingen Merlin SA-226 Air Charter Services
Air Charter Advisors offers access to passenger, cargo, & freight air charter services on the Swearingen Merlin SA-226. Request a quote or call our air cargo brokers directly at +1 (888) 987-5387.
* Specifications are based on common models and may vary based on model, variant, modifications, and other factors. Please call or email us with the dimensions and payload of your cargo. Pictures are for example only. The age, color, interior layout, hourly rates, specifications, dimensions may all vary between aircraft. All images copyrighted and provided courtesy of Swearingen/Fairchild unless noted otherwise.